This project (ended June 2003) carried out evaluations of the Swedish Development Assistance Agency (SIDA) Department for Research Co-operation (SAREC) marine science program in East Africa. The evaluations addressed five basic questions:
1) Does the Program produce relevant and tangible results?
2) How has the research been implemented?
3) How well are the supported institutions and universities functioning?
4) Has the program been cost effective in its implementation?
5) Has the program followed the recommendations of the 1996 evaluation?
In addition, recommendations were provided to guide the next phase of the program.